When setting up a new bar; whether it’s a swanky new town night spot, a back street pub or a restaurant or hotel bar, there can be a lot to think about.
Getting the drinks ordered, ensuring the décor is completed and that you have all the facilities and requirements need for a new business. Often, then, the things that matter, such as the bar equipment and other bar accessories can get left to the last minute.
Running a bar, like any business, is all about being prepared and ensuring you have the right tools for the job. In ordering bar accessories or buying bar supplies, it doesn’t pay to cut corners or by poor quality equipment.
The requirements for running a successful bar differ from bar to bar, location to location but there are some essentials and basic bar equipment that all bars, pubs, restaurants and clubs should have. Whether it is a local bar or uptown club, there is basic drinks and stuff that every establishment should have in stock.
However, ordering bar accessories is not a job that should be rushed because if you get it wrong, it can lead to all sorts of difficulties comes opening night. So it is important you make the right decisions the first time around. Otherwise, you could be frantically ordering new bar accessories at the last minute.
Here is a list of an essential bar equipment and accessories::
These items should be behind every bar. When purchasing look for quality and durability, there is no point in buying bar accessories that are cheap if they break and need replacing. For most food or drink accessories always look for stainless steel. It’s easy to clean, healthy and hygienic.
* Corkscrew – no bar can function without being able to open wine bottles
* Cleaning products – For wiping surfaces, bar, the pumps, etc. A bar has to be kept clean so a good supply of clothes and cleaning items should always be kept in stock.
* Bottle Opener – How else are you going to open the mixers
* Ice Bucket and scoop – People don’t like warm drinks, so ice is a must as is the bucket, scoop and tongs.
* Measures – necessary for spirits. Look for stainless steel steps although glass is nearly as good – although less durable if dropped.
* Towels – required for drying glasses and the hundred and one other jobs bar towels finds themselves tasked with. 100% cotton is by far the best option.
* Cocktail accessories – everything from the stirrer, shaker, garnish, to perhaps an electric blender. If cocktails are asked for, you need to be able to serve the basics at least so ensure you have enough cocktail accessories and equipment.
* Cutting board and knife – required for lemons, lime and other fruit. This too needs to be easy to clean. So get a good sharp stainless steel knife and easy to clean cutting board.
Find out more about wine bottle stopper.